As an active volunteer with the HSCPC team, my sense of community has increased through meeting and supporting the individuals who make up the Hastings Sunrise area. Learning about crime and safety in the community has allowed for unique interactions, which have been valuable into gaining personal, social and professional skills. Being part of a team that upholds its members to a high level of standards, allows me to feel a sense of pride when I say that I am a part of the Hastings Sunrise Community Policing Centre.”
– Eleni Kottos, HSCPC Volunteer
Volunteers are the nucleus of the Hastings Sunrise Community Policing Centre (HSCPC). They not only participate in programs and projects, but also play a significant role in the operation and leadership of the centre.
What are some of the benefits of volunteering?
- Satisfaction – help make the community safer and better
- Networking – develop professional and community contacts
- New skills – get trained by Vancouver Police and the HSCPC
- Work experience – letter of reference after three months
What would I do?
- newsletters and graphic design
- computer programming
- fundraising and marketing
- program development
- office work
- foot patrols and delivering notices
- researching resource materials and much more…
What are the requirements?
To become one of our volunteers, you must be:
- Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident
- 18 years of age or older
- willing to consent to and pass a VPD Criminal Record Check
- comfortable working with the public and be a team player
- able to converse and write in English
- willing to volunteer a minimum of 8 hours per month
* There are no restrictions on who can participate in the Community Clean-up program. Everyone is welcome. Youth under 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
How do I get involved?
- Attend the next volunteer information session to learn more about the Hastings Sunrise Community Policing Centre (HSCPC), our programs and volunteer opportunities.
- Submit our online volunteer application. The link will be provided to you after attending the info session.
- Meet with our volunteer coordinator to begin the application process and agree to a criminal record check.
- After your application and criminal record check have been successfully processed, we will contact you for follow-up
- Once you become a volunteer, after participating in our orientation and training, you will be able to choose from a variety of opportunities.
To register for an information session, or if you have any questions about volunteering, please contact the HSCPC office at 604-717-3584.